Thursday, November 02, 2006

All Souls' Day

Alright, I must admit that being here and spending so many public holidays in Brazil , I still don't know know what are they celebrating for. (Expect for Christmas and New Year Day, hahaha) What a shame!! So I decided to make a reseach to find out what holiday is it today so that I can feel the astomphere too.


All Souls' Day

In the Roman Catholic church, a day commemorating all the Christians believed to be in purgatory (Roman Catholic Church. A state in which the souls of those who have died in grace must expiate their sins). Celebrated on November 2, it was first established by Odilo (d. 1049), abbot of Cluny, in the 11th century, and it was widely celebrated by the 13th century. The date follows All Saints' Day, with the idea that remembering the saints in heaven should be followed by remembering the souls awaiting release from purgatory. Roman Catholic doctrine holds that the prayers of the faithful on earth will help cleanse these souls in order to prepare them for heaven.

Everyone do have a soul and hopefully I am doing my own self 'cleanse' everyday in my life. To me, life is a learning curve. Good or bad, right or wrong, at least I know I am getting better every each day.

No comments: