Wednesday, December 06, 2006

City Of God (Brazil Movie)



I wanted to watch this Cidade de Deus when they screen in Singapore few years ago but somehow missed it. And since I am in the city of this movie production, I might as well buy the DVD and watch it.

After watching this movie base on 1997 novel by Paulo Lins, I can strongly feel my saddness for the poor especially when I passby Favela and see the poor here everyday. This movie show how the residents live through their lifes in this City of God (Favela).

Synopsis
Taking place over the course of a few decades, City of God tells the story of two parallel lives from the favela Cidade de Deus (Portuguese for City of God) in Brazil. The film begins close to the end of story and moves back two decades, and has other flashbacks along the way back to the end.
While both Rocket and Li'l Dice grow up amidst much violence and despair, each takes a different path. As the years progress, the characters go through a series of changes. Li'l Dice changes his name to
Li'l Zé, becomes one of the most violent gangsters in the City of God as he starts up his own gang, kills many rivals, and makes many enemies. Rocket witnesses much of this, as he develops an interest in photography and wishes to use it to escape the violence of the favelas.
Their paths cross at many points in the film: Rocket's older brother is murdered by Li'l Zé when they are just children; a mutual friend of Rocket and Li'l Zé is murdered as he attempts to leave the gangster life; Rocket's photos attract Li'l Zé's attention and Rocket is hired to be his photographer and his pictures are published in the newspaper; and Rocket is there to document the inevitable gang war that erupts between Li'l Zé and his rivals.


I remember when I was young, I always feel the unfairness from God when I see more on the Poor and Rich, the Violent and Peace, the Sickness and Healthy, the Stupid and Smart. I even asking Goddess of Mercy why can't all human being live in same condition equally. Of course, slowly I realised more about Cause and Effect (Buddhism regilious) and life cycle, I know there is more than just life itself. Sometime, (crime) life cycle goes on but I do believe the compassionate bring hope for everyone and this is what I am trying to learn everyday. Afterall, we have to stay positive to make our day happier and meaningful.

"Aware of the suffering caused by the destruction of life, I vow to cultivate compassion and learn ways to protect lives of people, animals, plants, and minerals. I am determined not to kill, not to let others kill, and not to condone any killing in the world, in my thinking, and in my way of life.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, it seem unfair. but i thank karma balances everything out. we need our conscious to keep us on the right road. ;o)